19.5 C
New York
Sunday, August 14, 2022

Buy now

Rivian and Ford cancel plans to develop electric card

Electric car maker Rivian and Ford Motor Company have announced cancellation of their plans to develop an electric car together.

In 2019, the two companies announced plans to jointly develop a vehicle after Ford invested $500 million in the start up. Ford later announced the car would fall under the company’s luxury brand, Lincoln.

While the plans were scrapped, Ford owns a 12% stake in the company. Rivian is valued at $10 billion in their IPO last week.

“We respect Rivian and have had extensive exploratory discussions with them, however, both sides have agreed not to pursue any kind of joint vehicle development or platform sharing,” Ford said in an emailed statement.

“As Ford has scaled its own EV strategy and demand for Rivian vehicles has grown, we’ve mutually decided to focus on our own projects and deliveries. Our relationship with Ford is an important part of our journey, and Ford remains an investor and ally on our shared path to an electrified future,” the company said in an emailed statement.

CNBC writes that Ford CEO Jim Farley said they cancelled the plans because Ford had “growing confidence” to “win in the electric space.”

Join MultiMediaMouth+ for $3 a month

Support MultiMediaMouth.com now! For just $3/month, you will get ad-free access to select articles, Podcasts, and livestream events! Join today and support small creators!

Ruben Jay
Ruben Jay
Ruben Jay is an American broadcaster, media blogger, and podcast host. Currently, Ruben is the President of MultiMediaMouth.com and the executive producer and host of the popular podcasts You’re My Best Friend and ON AIR with Ruben Jay, exclusively on MultiMediaMouth.com. Follow Ruben on Instagram, Twitter, and Tiktok @TheRubenJay.

Related Articles

Latest Articles